Firm History


It all began on February 1, 1952 when Art Powell opened his office located on the second floor of 24 Dunlop Street East in downtown Barrie. The office occupied 250 square feet of space and cost $35 per month to rent. In the early days Art did everything from typing letters to answering telephone calls. The name of his firm was A.E. Powell, Chartered Accountant. Fifteen years later, in November of 1967, Larry Jones came to work for Art and in February of 1970 Larry and Art became Partners. The name of the firm was subsequently changed to A.E. Powell & Co. Chartered Accountants which was changed again three years later to Powell Jones & Co. when a third Partner was added. Art retired as a partner in January of 1982 but continued to work on a part time basis and made regular visits until he passed away in 1995.

The firm continued to grow with the addition of more Partners and staff who eventually occupied the en

tire upper floor of 24 Dunlop Street East consisting of 3,000 square feet. It was decided a new location was needed that provided more space. The Partners undertook the construction of a new building at 121 Anne Street South and in February of 1990 the office relocated to its new address. Clients and staff appreciated the newly available parking and not having to climb 26 stairs to a second floor office. After 38 years of service Larry retired as a Partner in 2005 but continues to come to the office periodically for consulting.

Today we occupy all 10,000 square feet of the building and have grown to a staff of over 40 people. In 2017 we were excited to celebrate 65 years of service. We take pride in the success that has been accomplished over many years of serving our community.



Courtesy of Simcoe County Archives


Our Team
© Copyright 2018 - Powell Jones | Website Designed by MediaSuite Inc.